I’m a life long vegetarian and I try to make as many of my homemade food as vegan as possible, even though I’m not strict to the vegan diet. I know that veganism is something that is trending at the moment, so I thought that I’d share some affordable and easy vegan recipes that are actually rather tasty and ideal if you’re trying the vegan lifestyle or have vegan guests to cater for.
- 1 can of chopped tomatoes
- 1 can of supermarket value kidney beans
- 1 small onion
- 1 tsp of garlic powder/3 cloves
- 1 tsp of chilli powder
- Vegan mince (optional)
- Any other veg of your choice (optional)
- Fry the onion in oil for a few minutes before adding the chilli powder and garlic. Add the tomatoes and keep at a medium-high heat until the tomatoes reduce.
- You can add optional spices such as more garlic and chilli to taste alongside smoked paprika and cayenne pepper. Your additional veg should now be added along with the optional mince.
- Cook for a further five minutes before adding kidney beans.
- Serve on top of rice or tortilla chips, or with tacos and tortillas.
Sweet Potato Crust Pizza
Serves as 1 large pizza
- 500 g sweet potato (peeled and roughly chopped)
- 2 cups oat flour
- 1 cup spinach
- 1 red onion sliced
- 3 chestnut mushrooms sliced
- 1 red pepper sliced
- 2 garlic cloves diced
- pinch of salt & pepper
- 2 tsp Italian herbs
- 1 tsp chili flakes
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- a few basil leaves
- 60 g vegan mozzarella sliced
- Preheat oven to 200°C and line a large baking tray with greaseproof paper.
- Put the sweet potatoes in a steamer for 20 minutes or boil until soft
- Put the soft sweet potato into a mixing bowl and mash before adding oat flour and mix with a wooden spoon until well combined.
- Wet your hands before shaping the sweet potato dough into a bowl before placing it on the lined baking tray.
- Shape the dough into a roughly 0.5cm thick circle and smooth it around the edges.
- Bake the dough in the preheated oven for 15-18 minutes.
- During this time, prepare the toppings by mixing together the onion, pepper, mushrooms, garlic, salt, pepper, italian herbs, chilli flakes and olive oil until the veg is fully coated in seasoning.
- Once the dough has finished baking, take out of the oven and spread tomato puree on top followed by a layer of spinach before layering the veg on the pizza.
- Finish with slices of vegan mozzarella, some basil leaves and a drizzle of olive oil before baking in the oven for 8-10 minutes.
Barbecue Jackfruit Nachos
- 200 g tortilla chips (suitable for vegans)
- 2 x 565 g cans of jackfruit in brine
- 3/4 cup water
- 150 g vegan cheese grated
- 1/2 red onion diced
- 3 tomatoes diced
- Handful of coriander (cilantro) chopped
- Handful of jalapeños sliced
- Cashew sour cream
- Soak cashews in hot water for approximately 10 minutes before draining.
- Put all the ingredients in a blender until smooth.
Chocolate Fridge Cake
- 1 oz / 30g margarine
- 1 rounded dssp golden syrup
- 2 floz /60 ml soya milk
- 3 1/2 oz /100g plain chocolate
- 3 oz / 85g digestive biscuits, broken up
- 1 oz / 30g raisins
- 1 oz / 30g dates, chopped
- Heat up the margarine, soya milk, golden syrup and chocolate in a double saucepan, continue until the chocolate and margarine have melted.
- Add biscuits, dates and raisins and mix well.
- Place in small greased tray and put in fridge to set for three hours.
I hope you like these recipes. Have you tried any vegan recipes before? What are your favourites?
Jazz is a Disney, tea and pop culture enthusiast with a passion for blogging. Also a proud introvert.
These all look so tasty. I’m gonna say that dessert is probably my favorite.
We are not vegans, but your recipes are still very delicious. Making me hungry just looking at these recipes.
Thanks for Sharing.
While we’re not vegans at our house, I don’t shy away from these kinds of meals. Especially in the summer, we don’t eat meat necessarily with every meal. I’ve flagged a few of them to try. Sweet potato crust pizza (for him) and Chocolate Fridge Cake (for her). Yum! x
I think out of all of those, the sweet potato pizza sounds the most delicious to me 🙂
I definitely have to give the veggie chilli a try. That looks so yummy!
We’re making an effort to eat less meat and all of these look tasty! Especially the pizza – yum!
I’ve often toyed with the idea of going vegan but I don’t think my meat eating other half would be too keen on an another change to his diet. I do make some vegan meals (I’m actually making vegan chilli this weekend) from time to time and the sweet potato crust pizza looks like something that should be in the meal rotation.
Ooh i am making that fridge cake! Love the look of the pizza, never would have thought of using sweet potato
I’m currently on the hunt for the best vegan alternatives to some favourite dishes and that vegan chilli looks so good!